TOP AD BANNER GOES HERE

Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Apology to UNC-Wilmington

The campus police came in force to my lecture at the University of North Carolina but the radicals whom they were there to keep from disrupting the event did not. The reason was obvious. When the SDS and the other fascist groups which infest this campus as they do every other decided to disrupt the speech that former congressman Tom Tancredo attempted to give, the fiasco was captured on national TV causing extreme embarrassment to university officials. Public embarrassment is where academic bureaucrats will draw the line – because of its economic consequences. Six of the student culprits were arrested, and even though they were eventually acquitted the strong reaction of university officials constituted a warning they are bound to respect. This confirms my long-held view that university administrators could solve the problem of campus barbarism by simply reinstituting and enforcing the rules that were in place before the inmates were allowed to take over the asylum in the wake of the destructive Sixties.


As at UMass the week before, I met some tough-minded and savvy conservative students there, who were associated with the Carolina Review, which is available online here. Also, as at UMass, my hosts described the routine political abuses of their professors. For example one UNC instructor in a course on the architecture of Greece takes large chunks of class time to rail against Republicans and American imperialism. This confirms my long-held opinion that  a large part of the problem is character, specifically the arrested development  of academics who are under parental supervision often until their thirties. What after all is so difficult about observing a professional discipline and not venting your personal frustrations on students (who at this state school pay $10,000 a year in tuition fees)? My student hosts also described indoctrination courses to which they are subjected, in one case, the same political science course in Supreme Court decisions I audited at UMass in which the instructor presents only the left side of the argument as the reasonable position and in which the required reading is the same lone text –The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin – which treats the views of conservatives like Clarence Thomas as “extreme.”

Given this new revelation, I have decided to conduct myself in a manner more consistent with the character of my colleagues and my so-called superiors. Specifically, I have decided to imitate and perhaps even surpass my colleagues in two crucial areas required for promotion to full professor: 1) Individual Cowardice, and 2) Intellectual Dishonesty.

In order to accomplish the first of these two goals, I hereby offer the following apology to my colleagues at UNCW: I am sorry for criticizing the UNCW diversity movement. I really mean that.

In order to accomplish the second goal - of matching the near-total intellectual dishonesty of my colleagues - I am going to demonstrate the sincerity of my apology by focusing only on the positive aspects of the diversity movement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment