TOP AD BANNER GOES HERE

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Breaking News : Jewish folk singer Debbie Friedman dies

Deborah Lynn "Debbie" Friedman (born circa 1952, died January 9, 2011 was an American composer and singer of songs with Jewish religious content. She was born in Utica, New York but moved with her family to Minnesota at age 5. She is best known for her musical version of “Mi Sheberach,” the prayer for healing, which is used by hundreds of congregations across America.

She wrote many of her early songs as a song leader at the overnight camp Olin-Sang-Ruby Union Institute in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin in the early 1970s.


I really loved her music. She had an absolutely beautiful voice. She just had a tremendous gift and brought Jewish texts to life like few others. I have most of her CDs. I first heard her music in a Jewish store in Brookline, MA and I was so struck by it, I asked who was singing and the storekeeper said "Debbie Friedman." I immediately bought the CD and listened to it many times since then. Years later, I led a Shabbat service on Friday night at a local nursing home in DC and I used some of her music for the service. Shalom, Debbie Friedman. You will be greatly missed.

Latest Complete Very Sad News Updates I have found myself going back to this story over the weekend, as news spread on Friday of Mr. Debbie Friedman's criticalSimilarly, Debbie’s death removes from our midst one of gedolei hador (the great of the generation). Debbie Friedman has touched more lives and brought more people ...Debbie Friedman Death: latest news about Debbie Friedman Death updates, Jewish fold singer Debbie FriedmanDebbie Friedman has died as a result of complicationsDebbie Friedman Death, Debbie Friedman, Debbie Friedman Death,debbie Friedman DeathFrom: Jonathan Sarna List Editor: Jonathan Sarna Editor's Subject: Death of Debbie Friedman Author's Subject: Death of Debbie FriedmanDebbie Friedman Cause of Death? Music ... Debbie Friedman died today at a hospital in Orange County, California. She combined American folk music with Hebrew liturgical texts to ...Famed Jewish singer has died (HD VIDEO)debbie friedman | All news in world...Previously she had to be hospitalized due to pneumonia (this was confirmed by the sources of the Union.
Debbie Friedman played an integral role in the development of my Jewish identity. Her music added so much to my experiences in youth group when I was in high school ages ago. She touched so many lives and she will truly be missed. May her memory be for a blessing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment